Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Shimmy Shimmy...

For this weeks blog post I have chosen to discuss Jason Derulos video "Swalla." I am not going to lie, it is one of the stupidest songs I have ever heard. Between the childish sounding beat and the typical half naked women, Ill just say I have heard better.

1. From the video I see the men as rich and desirable to women. The fact that they have money and are talking about sex while having women prance all over them. It gives off the impression that as a man, if you behave that way women will be all over you. Women in this video are objects, and their only job is to keep quiet and just be present.

2. I feel like all music videos tell a story whether they are sexual or not. In this case, I feel like the video tells a story about how women like to be noticed sexually. If women wear skimpy outfits and dance around men they are important aspects in a mans life. When it comes to the men in the video, the men seem to be waiting for the women to interact with them sexually. When a woman starts to act sexually towards a man it opens up the door to more interaction.

3. Party is all I see in this video. Women are holding bottles of alcohol and everyone is dancing around. Without lyrics it is obvious that the message is to go out and enjoy yourself, and the only way to do so is to go to a club and drink.

4. I do think the video reinforces harmful stereotypes. The video seems to promote sexual behavior as the only way to be desirable and that if you drink and party it is an excuse to be sexual and promiscuous. Often times in the video you see Ty and Jason just standing around while the women are throwing themselves at them, kinda like if they are stripper poles. It is subjecting that it is appropriate to throw yourself at men and perform for them.

5. Now that I am older I understand why my parents really did not want me watching music videos. However when I was a teen most of the videos were not as sexual as they are now. This video gives off the impression that if you party and get drunk it is okay to be open sexually. For viewers at this age, it is also telling teens that this behavior is what is expected of both men and women.




No comments:

Post a Comment